of Farriers Associations (EFFA)
In furtherance of this mission, the European Federation of Farriers Associations has the following objectives:
- To provide a forum for the spread of knowledge and best practice amongst farriers throughout Europe.
- To arrange educational events and farriery competitions in order to raise standards of farriery throughout Europe.
- To develop a common basic standard of competence in farriery.
- To encourage all European countries, whether members of the European Union or not, to adopt this common basic standard as a minimum and to accredit national qualifications against this common basic standard.
- To prevent and avoid suffering by and cruelty to horses arising from the trimming and shoeing of horses by unskilled persons.
- To develop and publicise a register of Certified Eurofarriers.
- To encourage all working farriers to undertake a programme of continuing professional development/lifelong learning.
- To encourage close working between farriers and veterinary surgeons on the therapeutic treatment of horses’ hooves.
- To assist member nations in developing common standards of regulatory legislation relating to the trimming and shoeing of horses.
- To encourage safe and healthy working practices.
- To encourage the education of the horse owning public in relation to the art and science of farriery.
- To provide representation on behalf of the members on matters concerning the farriery industry in Europe.